Thunderbird Owners Forum
Hi Welcome to Thunderbird Owners Forum
A discussion Forum for all Thunderbird owners and Admirers,

You will be able to look thru most of the Forum Topics without Registering,
Registering will allow you to see all Topics on this Forum plus you will be able to comment and post pictures.

The forum has a major advantage over Facebook as here the Technical info, Projects, Buils Videos etc, and all other categories remain available to access as long as the forum operates.

Please sign up there is no cost and all your details are kept private. Just fill in some info and your a member.

New here, couple of questions...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New here, couple of questions...

Post by dented on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:57 am

Hi,
just bought a 66 hardtop. First American car I have owned, although have had many V8 falcons over the years. Firstly Im in NZ. The car is dedicated LPG, and I want to put it back to petrol. I have the original tank, just some messing around to put that back in. The engine is a 390, and Im pretty sure internally its all standard. Wondering what carb I should be putting on it. Im not super fussy about it being original, its no showcar. The intake is the standard cast Ford 4bbl square-bore type. I'd like to put a Holley on it, what did they originally come out with? Is a 650 vac/sec going to work ok? Or I have an option to get a near new 670cfm Holley street avenger carb, thought that might be nice. Do the Edelbrock Performer manifolds make any noticeable improvement on a standard engine?
Aside from that I plan on tidying things up under the bonnet, find some steel wheels for it, and get the speedo working, not sure whats wrong with that at this stage.
Thanks in advance, for any helpful replies

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New here, couple of questions...

Post by BulletBird on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:01 pm

[b]Welcome to the forum, I have a holley 600 on my standard 390 , no matter what carb you go for, you might have to make some changes. eg - like the Jets size.  I can't give you any help with the Edelbrock manifold, but it would be a fair bit lighter and if you have a early 60s engine you will need later style rocker covers for oil filler cap and PVC system but I think the 1966 all ready has that, I am going to put one of these manifolds on my car in the near future.
Cheers Arthur  /b]
BulletBird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rhinosoft on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:23 pm

HI,

welcome as well.

I would recommend the 670 SA - easy to tune up and will suit the engine nicely. As for the manifold, you will find the normal Performer a good bit of gear, makes it simpler to R&R and saves heaps of weight. It is also exactly the same dimensions as the standard manifold.

Don't forget to put up some images of the car,

Graeme

rhinosoft

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:23 am

Thanks guys. I will go with this 670SA and will post some pics once I get some better wheels on it. Thanks for the advice

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rhinosoft on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:54 am

One small thing you may encounter is covered on the internet, here is a sample: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1759376-street-avenger-stumble-issue-solutions.html

Easy fix if you need it.

Graeme

rhinosoft

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:39 pm

Hey thanks Graeme, I will have a good look at that when I fit it. Im wondering if thats the reason why a carb is being sold cheap when it was only fitted brand new 2 months ago.

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveG on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi Dented
As the other boys have said Welcome, It's been pretty quiet around here just lately so fire away with questions or whatever else you may want to post up.

Graeme,
Thanks for that Link great read, I'm running a 570 Avenger on mine as is Gio seems to be ok no stumble off idle but I was having overheating issues last summer and some said it could be due to a lean condition. Waiting for Summer to see how it is now.
DaveG
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.jetscarclub.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:52 am

Thanks Dave

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:53 am

I got all the LPG and associated gear out of the car on the weekend. Going to do some tidy-up stuff under the bonnet while its immobilised, got a fairly serious power steer leak, a new sump coming to replace the original which is in a bad state, plus the whole underbonnet is looking pretty heinous. Attaching a couple of pictures so you can see what I mean.

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rhinosoft on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:18 am

A bit or work ahead of you there - but look at those nice shiny/painted bits to put back. That should keep you motivated..

Thanks for the images and by the way, what sort of wheels do you have installed there ?

Graeme

rhinosoft

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:58 am

Yeah those wheels......dont suit the car at all. Got some steel wheels coming for it which should be here any time. The wheels on it are Minilites, hopefully will sell pretty easily they would suit an XY or something.....

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiwibird on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:38 pm

dented wrote:Yeah those wheels......dont suit the car at all. Got some steel wheels coming for it which should be here any time. The wheels on it are Minilites, hopefully will sell pretty easily they would suit an XY or something.....

First off welcome from another Kiwi Thunderbird owner - mines a '66 Town Landau, I'm at the bottom of the South Island
Your cars nice project, it looks pretty sound and shouldn't be too hard to sort out - however my choice of carb would have been a 600cfm Holley with adjustable floats, good, reliable and smooth off the line, maybe a bit small for ultimate performance but these cars are cruisers, not racers!

Those mags - did the fit without using  adapters?? If so I would be keen to buy them - assuming you still have them.

Oh, and the oily mess on the right hand end of the diff points to a problem with the vent-tube on the diff, it is meant to have a rubber hose going from the diff up into the 'chassis'.
Kiwibird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:24 am

Kiwibird wrote:
dented wrote:Yeah those wheels......dont suit the car at all. Got some steel wheels coming for it which should be here any time. The wheels on it are Minilites, hopefully will sell pretty easily they would suit an XY or something.....

First off welcome from another Kiwi Thunderbird owner - mines a '66 Town Landau, I'm at the bottom of the South Island
Your cars nice project, it looks pretty sound and shouldn't be too hard to sort out - however my choice of carb would have been a 600cfm Holley with adjustable floats, good, reliable and smooth off the line, maybe a bit small for ultimate performance but these cars are cruisers, not racers!

Those mags - did the fit without using  adapters?? If so I would be keen to buy them - assuming you still have them.

Oh, and the oily mess on the right hand end of the diff points to a problem with the vent-tube on the diff, it is meant to have a rubber hose going from the diff up into the 'chassis'.
Thanks, havent even looked at the diff yet but will check the vent tube. I almost bought a 600cfm Holley for it, but I have been burnt buying a 2nd hand carb once before, and when the 670 came up, basically brand new at a very good price, I particularly liked that it had an electric choke, as I dont want to go putting a manual choke on the car. I know its only a cruiser but fingers crossed this carb will be fine.

The mags, yes they came on the car without spacers/adaptors. They are 15x7", they came with 205/75/15 tyres, and fit my 66 just fine with the spats on. The guy I bought it off said the previous owner who brought it in to nz had the wheels custom made for the car. I will say however that with the 4.5"backspace they have, the front ones run very close to the top balljoint, and on full L/H lock the tyres just rub 2 of the bolt heads for the steering box. Also you cant put regular wheel weights on the inside of the front wheels, they rub that top b/joints, so you have to use the stick-on mag wheel type weights. If I were keeping the wheels on this car I would actually put 10mm spacers behind the front ones. Let me know if you'd like them. I will be selling them in a couple of weeks time.

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiwibird on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi dented, thanks for your response - I flicked you a PM reply on this site.
Kiwibird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveG on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:03 pm

I've got a NEW well used for 1 Hour 600 vac sec with electric choke.
Looking for $300 if anyone is Interested.
DaveG
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.jetscarclub.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiwibird on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi Dented,
Just had a thought - is it actually your power-steering that is leaking?
I bought mine and it was a mess around the steering box area and I noticed the previous owner had a 1-litre bottle of power steering fluid beside the battery so 'assumed' the steerign box leaked.

But noooo, I was wrong, when I got the car back to NZ I noticed behind the wheel on the passenger side was also wet with power-steering fluid.

A bit of head-scratching and detective work I found the fluid WAS power steering fluid (actually ATF) and the leak was actually from the wiper motor shaft.
Sent the motor The Thunderbird Connection in the US and got it reconditioned and all is well. Very Happy

Although it WAS nerve-wracking waiting to see if the rebuilt motor got back to NZ, I would have been stuffed if it hadn't!)
Kiwibird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Ok. It has numerous ATF leaks going on. The original transmission cooler pipes appear to have been cut in several places, and reconnected with fuel line, and all the rubber is impregnated and leaking. And both power steer hoses appear to be leaking. I have ordered new p/s pipes from Macs today, and I rang a local auto trans place, who are happy to make up some new transmission pipes if I bring the car in. I was nervous about ordering those from overseas incase they got damaged in transit which I imagine would be quite easy to happen. I may also have a leak from the p/s pump but will do these other things first and wash it down then recheck.

In other news I drove it on petrol on Wednesday night, first time in 7 years for this car, and it goes great! Noticeably more power than when it ran on LPG. Dropped it into my panelshop yesterday morning to have the hole in the boot floor sewn up. Also looking to do something interesting with green metalflake on the roof, but thats another story....

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiwibird on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Well thanks to the kindness and efforts of dented my '66 Thunderbird now moves around on new feet - his old mags!

And with the whitewalls it looks smart, as flash as a rat with a gold tooth!

Ah, the mysterious brotherhood of the Thunderbird owners!
Kiwibird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Sweet

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiwibird on Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi dented, how is the '66 going? - all problems sorted??
Kiwibird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:56 am

Yeah OK. Haven't done much driving, expecting it out of the paint shop next weekend, then a few rushed jobs before going to beach hop at end of the month

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiwibird on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:46 pm

dented wrote:Yeah OK.  Haven't  done much driving, expecting it out of the paint shop next  weekend, then a few rushed jobs before going to beach hop at end of the month

Ah, Beach Hop! A great scene and zillions of cars.
Been there each year over the last few and bugger me if No2 sepson wants to have his wedding right on Beach Hop weekend AND in Aussie!

So maybe next year I might catch up with you huh?
Kiwibird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:04 am

Yeah I hope so. Actually, in typical fashion, I started out with the intention of doing a quick tidy-up, and things have escalated. I have had the engine bay repainted, albeit with the engine still in place. This required stripping of almost everything from under the bonnet, and some prodigious masking and prep work. But it looks great and Im happy with the job. This week it gets the top surfaces repainted. And also the doors are off to have the jambs and shuts painted. The car was originally green, but has been painted cream at some stage, although only the exterior surfaces. By next week it should be impossible to tell it was ever green. But its been quite a big job. Maybe I'll post some pictures once its done....

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:12 am

underbonnet prior to paint...

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dented on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:17 am

Also, here is a shot showing the trunk, I have had the missing section of floor replaced (where the LPG tank was fitted), and it now has an original fuel tank fitted and plumbed in. I had to replace the sender unit/pickup, which was faulty, and I didnt have the tank straps, so I got a couple off an old Falcon at Pick-a-part, and modified them to fit. Also had to order in a new inlet pipe. In time I will get some upholstery done in here...

dented

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top