Thunderbird Owners Forum
Hi Welcome to Thunderbird Owners Forum
A discussion Forum for all Thunderbird owners and Admirers,

You will be able to look thru most of the Forum Topics without Registering,
Registering will allow you to see all Topics on this Forum plus you will be able to comment and post pictures.

The forum has a major advantage over Facebook as here the Technical info, Projects, Buils Videos etc, and all other categories remain available to access as long as the forum operates.

Please sign up there is no cost and all your details are kept private. Just fill in some info and your a member.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thunderbird Owners Forum
Hi Welcome to Thunderbird Owners Forum
A discussion Forum for all Thunderbird owners and Admirers,

You will be able to look thru most of the Forum Topics without Registering,
Registering will allow you to see all Topics on this Forum plus you will be able to comment and post pictures.

The forum has a major advantage over Facebook as here the Technical info, Projects, Buils Videos etc, and all other categories remain available to access as long as the forum operates.

Please sign up there is no cost and all your details are kept private. Just fill in some info and your a member.
Thunderbird Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James STUNNING 56

+2
Oceanside TB
DaveG
6 posters

Go down

James STUNNING 56 Empty James STUNNING 56

Post by DaveG Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:05 pm

James's absoloutley STUNNING !! 56,
Is this Australias best Baby Bird, If there is a better one I certainly haven't seen it yet. This car is truly beautifull.

Name: James Pantelis

Forum Name: JPTBird

State: Victoria.

Year of Manufacture: 1956

Hardtop or Convert: Convertible w/ Porthole Hardtop & Soft Top

Body Colour: Colonial White

Original Paint or Re-paint: Re-paint 2004

Interior Colour: Fiesta Red
Original or Re-trim: Re-trim

Engine Size: 312 Ci

Manual or Auto: Ford-o-matic Auto

Accessories Fitted: Factory P/Steering, P/Brakes, P/Windows, P/Seat

Purchased in Australia or Imported : Imported from Vancouver Canada July 2011

Any Mods: Thermatic Fan, F&R HD Sway Bars, Additional rear leaf spring (raised rear 30mm)

Wheels if non standard, What Make & Size. Thunderbird 15” Wire Wheels

Any work you’ve done or had done to the car:
Replaced shock absorbers all round. Re-set rear leaf springs and added one extra leaf to raise rear by 30mm in preparation for fitting Thunderbird Wire Wheels. Fitted Thunderbird Wire Wheels. Added new F&R Heavy Duty Sway Bars to minimise roll when cornering. Added ‘Parade’ (Thermatic) Fan to safeguard against over heating when stuck in traffic or when inching along trying to find a car park at the Mornington Show n Shine on the ‘Lets Go Cruising’ Nights.

Future Plans:
To maintain the car as is and pray for minimal ‘issues’ in the future.

What do you enjoy most about the car:
It’s cool to drive and cool to speak with strangers at the lights who want to know about the car – in 20 seconds or less. These older fifties classic's help you make friends wherever & whenever you are out and about. Have made a bunch of new friends & acquaintances by attending Club Meetings, Outings as well as other car shows.

After months of searching online (Hemmings, EBay, Minter TBirds etc), I took the decision to travel to the U.S March/April 2011 to purchase a ’56. Had 3 in California and 1 in Vancouver to view after e-mails, photos and phone calls. The 3 Californian cars were each good enough to bring over to Oz but felt that the White One in Vancouver would probably be the more ‘sparkling’ one – judging by the photos and conversations with the restorer (who had recently sold it to the person selling it to me). This car had a complete ‘body on’ restoration in 2004. The restorer also gave me the ‘heads up’ that the guy selling the car was in trouble with his wife and desperate for a quick sale. He was caught having an affair and the marriage turned sour with all his toys having to go. So a price negotiation was a high probability given the economic climate in North America – especially if you are about to be kicked out of your own house.
I arrived in Vancouver around midday on a Thursday and by Friday noon I had completed the purchase. We drove the Tbird to the pre arranged shipping company’s container yard (see pic) and was dropped off at the airport for my flight back to L.A. The car arrived into Melbourne first week in July and by 15th July was road registered.
James STUNNING 56 Img_4110
James STUNNING 56 Img_0310
James STUNNING 56 Img_0410
James STUNNING 56 Img_0411
James STUNNING 56 Img_0510
James STUNNING 56 Img_0511
James STUNNING 56 Img_0512
James STUNNING 56 Img_0513

Last edited by DaveG on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveG
DaveG
Admin
Admin

http://www.jetscarclub.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

James STUNNING 56 Empty Jame's Stunning '56

Post by Oceanside TB Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 pm

Sweet little Bird James, very impressive . Also, an impressive turnaround from landing in Oz to being regoed in 2 weeks.
Oceanside TB
Oceanside TB

http://www.tbirds.com.au

Back to top Go down

James STUNNING 56 Empty Re: James STUNNING 56

Post by Giobus Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:16 am

James she is one stunning car!

Just pure elegance queen 

You must count your blessing though when they open the container and you see the car just tied in with a bit of nylon rope and lumps of wood.
Giobus
Giobus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BulletBird Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Very nice car you have James, I do like the colour combo White paint - red interior.
I really do like Baby Birds with their hard tops on, they look cool especially with the port hole in the roof.    

https://www.youtube.com/user/BulletBird1962
BulletBird
BulletBird

Back to top Go down

Post by jptbird Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Hey Gio, the photo of the car in the container was from Vancouver. Interesting how these containers present 'ok' from the outside. Paint / Company log etc.
Different story when you get the chance to look inside and you then see rusty banged up metal.
Given that I was going to the expense of a single 20' container for my precious cargo I was hoping that it would be lined with fluffy padded doonas. Hahaha.
One other thing which made the wait more nervous. Tracking the container online, I had discovered on the shipping company's website a tab titled 'Shit Happens'.Well...thousands of images of containers that had toppled onto each other, fallen off ships both at sea and at the docks, crane hooks slipping from one side and containers hanging in mid air from the other side.
Anyway, the story ended well and I have a pretty neat little baby bird to cruise around in.

Last edited by jptbird on Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
jptbird
jptbird

Back to top Go down

Post by jptbird Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Hey Arthur, thanks for your comments.
Agree re: porthole hard top.
50's Americana = Cool.
jptbird
jptbird

Back to top Go down

Post by Giobus Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Yes, the story did end out well !

Remember Rule No. 1 ~ Don't look at the business or customer rating after you are committed, else it is going to be a long nervous wait until you get your product.
Giobus
Giobus
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jptbird Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Smile 
Didn't know this rule at that time.
Must remember to tell this one to others.
jptbird
jptbird

Back to top Go down

Post by KennyTBird Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:28 am

Perfection. This is how a TBird should be presented. No airbags, 4 link suspension or custom body work just pure perfection just the way the Ford motor company designed it.

I love your car jptbird

KennyTBird

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveG Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:04 am

Kenney thank God you've finally found something you like. This is possibly Australias best baby bird so It appears you do have some taste after all.......Sorry that was uncalled for.
DaveG
DaveG
Admin
Admin

http://www.jetscarclub.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

James STUNNING 56 Empty Re : James Stunning 56

Post by Oceanside TB Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:17 am

Kenney, I think you're weakening, that 56 has wire wheels - it aint stock . But , I do agree, that is a very sweet Baby Bird.
Oceanside TB
Oceanside TB

http://www.tbirds.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down